Our Saint Louis dental office is committed to helping patients smile even after tooth loss. Although it can be traumatizing to lose a tooth, it doesn’t have to ruin your smile forever. With modern dentistry, you really can have a beautiful, strong smile for years to come.
· The most common cause of tooth loss among adults is actually periodontal disease. If left to progress untreated, gum disease can infect the bone and connective tissues that hold your teeth in place. As these tissues deteriorate, your teeth become loose and eventually fall out.
· You may also lose teeth if you put of necessary dental care and allow cavities to grow. Although cavities begin at the outer dental enamel of the tooth, they move inward toward to the dental pulp, nerve endings, and connective tissues over time. Eventually your tooth will become so diseased that it has to be removed or it falls out.
· Some patients also lose teeth due to accident or trauma.
The good news is that no matter why you lose a tooth, there are restorative dental treatments that can help you regain your stellar smile. Our office provides dental implants and dentures in Saint Louis—two effective and aesthetically pleasing replacement tooth options.
Dentures sit on top of the gum line. They restore the seamless look of your smile, and they allow patients to eat, drink, and speak comfortably. Dental implants are individual replacement teeth that are surgically implanted where the tooth used to sit. Many patients chose dental implants because they look and feel like natural teeth.
As a patient, the best thing you can after losing a tooth is to contact your dentist right away. With prompt treatment, you can avoid many of the long-term complications of tooth loss. Our Saint Louis dentists are here for you—give us a call or schedule your appointment online!
Dental technologies, like all technologies, evolve and improve over time. While it used to be that the only options for patients with missing teeth were dentures and bridges, now dental implants make it easier than ever to enjoy strong, durable, and attractive replacement teeth. Our Saint Louis dental office wants to help you understand what dental implants can do for you, so read on to learn more about how dental implants are unique.
Traditional dentures and bridges sit on top of the gum line. Dentures are attached to the gum tissue with adhesive, and bridges are held in place by small wires that attach them to adjacent teeth.
Dental implants, on the other hand, are held in place because they are actually rooted into the jawbone. The titanium root of the dental implant is actually surgically placed in the jaw, so that the titanium root serves as the tooth root. The titanium of the root bonds with natural bone, forming a superior foundation for the dental restoration that is placed on top.
Consequently, patients with dental implants don’t have to worry about their replacement teeth feeling loose or shifting around. Dental implants feel just like natural teeth, and they’ll allow you to eat your favorite foods without worry.
The dental implant placement process is lengthier than the processes for dentures and bridges. Because the dental implant is embedded in the bone, the bone and gum tissue must heal before your final dental restoration can be placed on top. However, once the implant is placed it could last for 10 or 15 years without needing to be replaced.
Our Saint Louis dental implant dentists can give you more information and help you determine which tooth replacement option is right for. Give is a call or schedule your personal consultation online to get started!
Once you achieve the smile of your dreams through cosmetic dentistry, you want to make sure that you take steps to maintain your smile. Today I’m going to outline some tips from our Saint Louis cosmetic dental office for patients with dental veneers.
Dental veneers—thin porcelain restorations that are placed over teeth—can completely change the appearance of your smile in only two or three appointments. Once you have your dental veneers, you’ll be able to eat and drink normally for the most part. Read on to learn more…
The first thing to do when you have dental veneers is to maintain a regular dental hygiene routine. You can care for your veneers by brushing, flossing, and using non-abrasive mouthwashes. A diligent dental hygiene routine will keep your veneers looking fresh, and it will help prevent gum disease, which can undermine the strength of your cosmetic veneers.
When you get porcelain veneers, you’re still able to eat and drink your favorite foods. There are some eating habits that should be avoided however—these habits are the same activities that can damage natural teeth.
· Don’t chomp on ice
· Try not to chew hard seeds and nuts with your front teeth
· Don’t open wrappers or bags with your teeth—this can put unnecessary strain on you veneers
· If you notice sings of bruxism (chronic chewing or grinding of teeth), seek prompt treatment. Because this may happen as you sleep, let your dentist know if you’re experiencing jaw stiffness or pain, headaches upon waking, or muscle stiffness.
While dental veneers are generally simple and straightforward to care for, there are some specific steps that you should take to protect your veneers. Our Saint Louis cosmetic dentists can give you more information about dental veneers and the veneers placement process at your first consultation—just give us a call!
- Our Saint Louis Dentists Help You Refresh Your Smile With Dental Whitening Results
- There Are Many Ways To Achieve A Straighter Smile With Our Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentists
- Defeat Bad Breath With Help From Our Saint Louis Dentists
- Saint Louis Dentists Explain How Bruxism Can Affect Oral Health And What You Can Do About It
- Could Invisalign Help You Smile Confidently? Our Saint Louis Invisalign Dentists Help You Decide
- Our Saint Louis Sedation Dentists Help Patients Stay Calm And Comfortable Throughout The Treatment Process
- The Truth About Coffee: Our STL Dentists Explains How This Popular Beverage Affects Oral Health
- Mini Dental Implants From Our Saint Louis Dentists Open Up Treatment Possibilities For Patients
- Read Through This Short Q&A With Our Saint Louis Dental Implant Dentists
- Our Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentists Review Important Factors When Considering Aesthetic Treatment
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.