You probably already know that your diet can have a huge effect on the state of your smile. However, you may not have the particulars on how you can make good dietary decisions for your smile. That is why, today, our Saint Louis dentists are going to be talking about how different types of foods and drinks can affect your oral health.
First, let’s talk about the types of substances that can harm your smile. These are the things that you want to minimize or eliminate out of your daily life:
· Sugary and carbohydrate-rich substances serve as food for harmful oral bacteria. When you indulge in these foods and drinks, oral bacteria production increases.
· Acidic foods and drinks, like fruit juices and many whole citrus fruits, lead to acid erosion. It can be helpful to rinse your mouth with water after consuming acidic things.
· All tobacco products are harmful to your smile.
There are also some things that can help you smile:
· Water is your smile’s best friend! Drink plenty of water throughout the day in order to stay hydrated—this allows your body to produce plenty of oral-health-boosting saliva.
· Crunchy, water-rich, vegetables can also help you minimize plaque throughout the day. As you chew on these veggies, you actually scrape plaque from your dental surfaces.
· There are also a number of foods that can combat the production and proliferation of harmful oral bacteria. Garlic and cocoa, have been shown to have oral health boosting effects.
Making good dietary decisions for your smile can make a big difference to the health of your smile in the long-term. Our Saint Louis dentists can provide you with any additional information and guidance that you need to make your own oral health decisions. Give us call to schedule a consultation with our helpful dental team!