Saint Louis Dentist Optimizes and Improves Patients’ Oral Hygiene Routines
The quality of your oral hygiene routine at home can make or break your oral health. The time that you put into cleaning your smile every day can either work wonders, or miss the mark.
Our Saint Louis dentists want to help every one of our patients develop good oral hygiene habits, so that they can enjoy their best smiles. With that in mind, let’s take a few minutes to make sure that you are getting the most out of your daily dental cleaning.
Brush at least twice a day—once in the morning and once at night
Floss at least once a day—ideally before you brush your teeth at night
Use mouthwash if your dentist deems it appropriate
When brushing, move your brush in small circular “buffing” motions on the surfaces of your teeth. Gently brush plaque from the spaces in which your gum tissue and dental enamel meet.
· Brush for at least two minutes every time you brush
· Floss between every one of your teeth
· As you floss, go down into the gum line—do not force the piece of floss, just gently guide it down as far is it will comfortably go into the gum tissue
· Cut a long piece of floss when you begin, and move incrementally down that piece of floss—to a clean section—as you go from tooth to tooth
The Right Tools:
· Toothpaste with fluoride helps to strengthen enamel and prevent cavities
· Brush with an appropriate toothbrush—make sure the head of the brush fits comfortably in your mouth, and use a bristle strength that is appropriate for your smile (for most patients this is a “soft” bristle)
· Pick a type of floss that feels comfortable for you—there are many different flavors available—just pick one you like
Do you have more questions? Our Saint Louis dentists are here to answer them!