Caring for your smile appropriately can help you avoid serious dental health issues and maintain a strong and attractive smile for years to come. Our Saint Louis dentists are her with some information that can help you minimize your risk of suffering from unnecessary dental damage. Keep reading to learn more!
The main thing that we want to do is to make sure that we’re protecting your dental enamel. As you probably already know, dental enamel is the outermost layer of your tooth, and it is responsible for protecting the more sensitive inner layers of your tooth.
In order to care for, and help preserve, your dental enamel you want to:
· Limit the amount of time that your enamel is exposed to acidic foods and drinks
· Do not use metal toothpicks or sharp instruments to clean your smile
· Make sure that you’re using a toothbrush that is appropriate for your teeth—soft-bristled brushes are suitable for most people—medium or firm toothbrushes can actually cause enamel erosion. Talk to your dentist about what kind of toothbrush is right for you!
· Seek professional treatment for bruxism—dental grinding—as soon as you notice it pop up
· Make sure that you are wearing a protective mouth guard when you play a contact sport or engage in extreme physical activities
· Follow all of your dentist’s recommendations regarding at-home and professional oral hygiene care
Another key thing to keep in mind is that when you are well-hydrated, your body is able to produce plenty of saliva, and saliva helps to neutralize oral bacteria. Chronic dry mouth increases your risk of suffering from cavities, gum disease, and hard-to-treat bad breath.
As always, our Saint Louis dentists are here to answer any questions that you may have about dental care—preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry. Give us a call to schedule a personal consultation!