A bright and white smile can take years off of the look of your smile, and your appearance in general. Young teeth are white and luminous, because the dental enamel is fresh and strong. As we age, however, we can suffer from dental stains and dull dental enamel. So what can you do?
Our Saint Louis cosmetic dentists have some tips for you on how to improve the luminosity of your smile. Read on to get this useful information!
In order to take care of your smile for the long-term, you have to first understand how dental discoloration develops. The truth is that there are many different causes of dental staining.
· You may experience stains from specific substances—from cola, coffee, tea, or red wine, for example.
· You may also find that your teeth start to look darker because your enamel starts to thin, and thus the dentin shows through the white dental enamel on the surface of your tooth.
· Additionally, plaque and tartar, once they have built up on your teeth, can look yellow, brown, and dark gray on your teeth and along your gum line.
In order to combat these types of discoloration, you should…
· Keep your smile clean from plaque and tartar by brushing, flossing, and undergoing semi-annual professional dental cleanings from our dentist.
· Use professional dental whitening treatments to minimize existing stains and brighten discolored dental enamel.
· If whitening treatments do not work for your teeth (some discoloration is particularly resistant to whitening), other cosmetic treatments, such as dental veneers, can brighten the appearance of your smile.
If you want to improve the appearance of your own smile, our Saint Louis cosmetic dentist office is here for you. Together we can help you achieve and maintain a luminous smile you will really love.