One of the key recommendations of the American Dental Association is that patients undergo professional dental cleanings every six months or so. This I just a general guideline, as certain patients with ongoing health conditions may need to see a dentist more frequently.
These semi-annual cleanings are important for a number of reasons. Today our Saint Louis dentists are giving you more information about what happens at these appointments. We hope that this gives you a better idea of the benefits of professional dental care!
During your semi-annual appointment, our team will perform a number of assessments on your smile:
- We’ll check your natural teeth for signs of cavities and enamel damage
- We’ll examine any restorations you may have, in order to ensure that they are in good shape
- We’ll complete a gum disease assessment
- We’ll screen your smile for signs of developing oral cancers
As you would imagine, prompt identification and treatment of these kinds of oral health issues vastly improves the patient’s prognosis.
During your appointment, our team will also complete a dental cleaning. The goal of this cleaning is to give your smile a clean slate, which you’ll then work to maintain until your next appointment.
- The first step is to clear away newly developed plaque—this the sticky bacterial film that coats our smiles throughout the day.
- Then, we’ll remove tartar, which is plaque that has calcified onto the smile. Tartar cannot be removed at home, so it’s crucial that patients undergo regularly scheduled professional cleanings, so that tartar is not able to build up.
- Finally, we will polish the teeth, to further freshen the smile and minimize discoloration.
Many people are surprised at just how much better their smiles look and feel after a simple dental cleaning. Even if it has been years since you’ve been in to see a dentist, our Saint Louis dental team is here to help you get back on track. Give us a call to get started!