When you’re faced with dental damage, you want to seek treatment as soon as possible. Generally speaking, treating dental issues is easier, more comfortable, more convenient, and less expensive the earlier it is completed.
Today, our Saint Louis dentists are here with some information that will help you spot dental irregularities before they become severe. Keep reading to learn more!
Perhaps the easiest changes to notice are those visible changes to your smile:
- Dark spots on your dental enamel (some types of discoloration are purely cosmetic, while others occur because bacteria have infiltrated the tooth)
- Red or swollen gum tissue
- Frequent blood when you brush or floss your teeth (this can indicate gum disease that is worsening into periodontal disease)
- Cracks or chips in the dental enamel
Additionally, you may find that your mouth feels different than usual:
- Your teeth may feel rough or grimy, rather than smooth, when you run your tongue over your dental enamel (this rough coating occurs due to bacterial plaque and tartar building up on the natural tooth structure)
- You might find that your breath is stale or malodorous; this occurs due to a proliferation of oral bacteria in the mouth
- If you experience increased sensitivity, either on a tooth or around your gum tissue, this may indicate an ongoing infection. Please do not ignore this type of discomfort, or over-medicate it with numbing agents; over time the damage will compound.
Staying aware of any changes to your smile, and your mouth in general, will help you take control of your dental health and make good decisions for your smile. Our Saint Louis dentists can give you additional information and guidance; please feel free to give us a call, or use the Contact Us page on our website to reach out to our team.