The key to effectively treating dry mouth is to choose a solution that directly addresses the underlying cause of your issue. This may include:
- Revamping your oral hygiene routine to clear away plaque and bacteria, and give your smile as much of a clean slate as possible moving forward.
- Adding a mouth rinse to your morning or nightly routine, or even as a supplemental step throughout the day. Our Saint Louis dentists will help you determine what type of rinse is right for you—there are formulations on the market designed to fight dryness, kill bacteria, freshen breath, and more.
- Focusing on optimizing your water usage throughout the day. This means, first of all, drinking plenty of water to ensure that you’re hydrated. However, it may also mean rinsing your mouth with water after meals and snacks, as a way to clear away dental debris and jump-start saliva production.
- Talking to your doctor about any medications you’re taking. Dry mouth is a common side effect of many types of medications. If you take medications daily, you may want to ask your doctor if there are alternatives available that are not as drying. Your doctor may also have recommendations for supplemental medications or mouth rinses that can alleviate your symptoms.
- Treating sleep apnea in a timely manner. Sleep apnea occurs at night, and it prevents the sufferer from inhaling an adequate amount of oxygen due to airway obstruction. Consequently, sleep apnea sufferers end up sleeping with their mouths open, leading to dry mouth. Traditional CPAP machines as well as innovative oral appliances can improve sleep apnea symptoms.
If you are experiencing chronic dry mouth, then you are probably already aware that this one issue can affect your oral health in a myriad of ways. Seeking prompt treatment is crucial to avoiding more serious damage down the road.
Our Saint Louis dentists are here to help you make the best decisions for your smile, so don’t hesitate to reach out by phone or through our Contact Us page!