One of the absolute best things that you can do for your oral health is to use the proper techniques and tools when cleaning your smile at home. Our Saint Louis dentists are here to help you learn more about how you can optimize your oral hygiene efforts. So keep reading to get the tips you need to stay healthy!
Let’s start by talking about your brushing routine…
1. Make sure that you are brushing your teeth at least twice a day—once in the morning, and once before you go to bed
2. Every time you brush, brush for at least two minutes
3. To buff away as much plaque as possible, move your toothbrush in small circular motions across the flat surfaces of your teeth. You can move your toothbrush back and forth on the bite surfaces of your teeth in order to tease out as much plaque as possible.
4. In general, adults should be using fluoride toothpaste, because fluoride strengthens dental enamel. If fluoride is not appropriate for your smile, your dentist will let you know!
On to flossing…
1. Flossing every day will help to clear plaque away from the harder to reach areas of your mouth
2. The most effective time to floss is at night, right before you brush your teeth
3. When flossing, do not skip portions of your mouth! Make sure you floss between every single one of your teeth
4. The type of floss that you use is up to you—just make sure that it’s a type that fits between your teeth, and does not shred as you use it.
Once you master these oral hygiene basics, you’ll be well on your way to maintaining a healthy smile. Our Saint Louis dentists can give you even more information about oral hygiene—just give us a call!