Fight Plaque With These Tips From Our Saint Louis Dentists
Keeping plaque at bay is one of the best things that you can do to keep your smile healthy and attractive. But this is a tall order! Plaque is always multiplying and finding new ways to attack your smile. So today our Saint Louis dentists are sharing some tips that you can employ to help keep plaque in check. Use these strategies to enhance your oral health.
So you have probably heard many times before that you need to get rid of plaque that builds up in your mouth. Well, this is because plaque is filled with harmful oral bacteria! When these bacteria sit on your teeth and gums, they are not inactive. Rather, these bacteria are feeding on the foods and drinks that we put in our mouths. As they feed, and multiply, they create harmful oral acids. Over time these acids contribute to gum disease as well as cavities.
So to battle harmful plaque, you need to…
· Brush at least twice a day (more if your dentist tells you to)
· Floss at least once a day (more if your dentist tells you to)
· See your dentist every six months for professional dental cleanings (more if your dentist tells you to)
· Drink plenty of water to encourage natural saliva production
· Rinse your mouth with water throughout the day to dislodge food particles and flush away plaque
· Try not to snack on sugary or carbohydrate-heavy foods throughout the day (these give bacteria ample time to reproduce in between your twice daily brushing/flossing sessions)
These simple steps will help to neutralize plaque before it is able to seriously damage your smile. As always, our Saint Louis dentist office has additional information and tips for you. Check out our website for more information, or give our friendly dental team a call.