No one wants to be struck by unexpected and unpleasant bad breath, but it happens to all of us at some point. The good news is that there are things that you can do to minimize your risk of developing bad breath, and to refresh your smile when you do notice an odorous problem. Keep reading to learn more from our Saint Louis dentists!
The first thing to understand is that there are different types of bad breath. When you eat a smelly food, like seasoned meat, onions, or garlic, you will probably notice that your breath is temporarily impacted by these foods. This type of bad breath is generally not something to worry about—the smells will dissipate naturally as the foods go through your system.
More worrisome is bad breath that is related to bacteria build-up in the smile. When harmful oral bacteria grow and feed on sugars in the mouth, they produce unpleasant odors as a result. In order to get control of this type of bad breath, you really need to address the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth.
- Follow the instructions of your dental team when it comes to brushing and flossing your smile at home
- Keep up with your dentist-recommended schedule of professional cleanings and treatments
- Drink plenty of water so that your body is able to produce saliva, which is your body’s natural way of neutralizing bacteria and strengthening teeth
- Get into the habit of rinsing your mouth with water after you eat or drink something other than water
- When you do use mints or gum to combat bad breath, make sure that they are sugar-free, as sugary treats can actually strengthen bacteria and intensify the problem
- Incorporate healthy and water-rich snacks into your diet, like carrots and celery, as these foods scrape away plaque and prompt saliva production
Our Saint Louis dentists are happy to give you more information and support, so that you can kiss bad breath goodbye for good. Give us a call to get started!