One of the best things that you can do in order to care for your smile long-term is to make it a priority to maintain strong dental enamel. There are a number of things that you can do in order to help minimize dental enamel erosion and deterioration. Today our Saint Louis dentists are going to be reviewing some of the enamel-boosting steps that you can take day to day.
The first thing to consider is how the things that you consume affect your enamel.
· Foods and drinks with a lot of sugar and refined carbohydrates ramp up bacteria production—over time bacteria weakens and de-mineralizes enamel
· Substances with high acid contents erode enamel. Many foods and drinks contain acid: coffee, wine, fruit juices, citrus fruits, and more
There are some things that you can do in order to minimize the harm to your smile:
· Consume these types of foods and drinks in moderation
· When you do indulge, do so in a short period of time, rather than spreading out throughout the day
· Rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking
Physical habits can also cause your enamel to become damaged.
· Bruxism—chronic dental grinding and clenching—puts enormous pressure on your teeth and leads to enamel damage
· If you chew on ice, hard candies, and/or mints, your enamel will thin over time, and may develop cracks and chips
· If you pick at your teeth with wooden or metal toothpicks, try to switch these tools out with floss in order to protect your smile
If you would like more information about how to protect your dental enamel for years to come, please feel free to call our Saint Louis dentists to schedule a consultation. We are here to help you make great decisions for oral health every single day!