Taking care of your natural smile takes diligence and a certain amount of foresight. Our Saint Louis dentists are here to help you make the right decisions for your oral health every single day. Here are some easy to implement tips on taking care of your smile.
The first thing that you can do to care for your smile is to consider what you are eating and drinking.
· Remember that foods and drinks that are full of sugars and carbohydrates actually feed oral bacteria. So, it is in your smile’s best interest to minimize your intake of these types of foods and drinks.
· There are also some kinds of foods that can actually be beneficial for your oral health. Crunchy veggies that are high in water content, for example, will scrape plaque from your dental surfaces and promote saliva production.
· Also keep in mind that when you chew hard or abrasive foods, you can actually weaken or damage your dental enamel. So try not to chomp on ice and hard candies.
Another great thing that you can do for your smile is to make sure that you are drinking enough water during the day.
· When you are well hydrated, your body is able to produce plenty of saliva; saliva naturally aids in the enamel re-mineralization process.
· The act of drinking water also naturally dislodges food particles and bacteria from your smile. It can also be helpful to vigorously rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking (a beverage other than water).
When you take the time to care for your smile properly you set yourself up for oral health success down the road. Our Saint Louis dentists are here to give you all of the information and support that you need—just give us a call to get started!