Although many patients take pains to protect their teeth and avoid cavities, many patients don’t realize that there are forces at work in your mouth every day that may be changing your dental enamel. The truth is that dental enamel can wear down over time—and there are a number of different causes of this phenomenon. Read on for more information from our Saint Louis dentists about what to look for in your mouth.
Do you grind your teeth?
If you regularly grind or clench your teeth, you may be wearing down your dental enamel. The trick is, many patients don’t immediately realize that they’re doing this because it happens when they are sleeping. So if you wake up with a headache, jaw, or neck stiffness, talk to your dentist about the possibility of you wearing down your teeth due to clenching and grinding.
How often are you rinsing your mouth after meals?
Every time you eat or drink something your mouth produces oral acids. These acids can wear down dental enamel over time—causing your teeth to look duller. Try to rinse your mouth with water or even brush directly after eating. Acids are produced for as long as 30 minutes after you consume something, so rinse right away to deter acid erosion.
Are you brushing the right way?
Patients who brush and apply too much force, or brush with bristles that are too firm may notice that their enamel starts to thin. Make sure to apply light pressure as you brush, and pick a soft ore medium bristled brush to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Your dentist will be able to most effectively monitor your teeth and gums for signs of wear and tear. Additionally, if you notice any oral sensitivity or irritation, let your dentist know right away to seek treatment. Our Saint Louis dental office is here to help you keep your teeth strong and healthy for years to come.
- 3 Things That Are Aging Your Smile; Our Saint Louis Dentists Can Help!
- Our Saint Louis Dental Team Reviews What Happens During A Cleaning
- Care For Your Smile During Illness With Support From Our Saint Louis Dental Team
- Our Saint Louis Dentists Help You Refresh Your Smile With Dental Whitening Results
- There Are Many Ways To Achieve A Straighter Smile With Our Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentists
- Defeat Bad Breath With Help From Our Saint Louis Dentists
- Saint Louis Dentists Explain How Bruxism Can Affect Oral Health And What You Can Do About It
- Could Invisalign Help You Smile Confidently? Our Saint Louis Invisalign Dentists Help You Decide
- Our Saint Louis Sedation Dentists Help Patients Stay Calm And Comfortable Throughout The Treatment Process
- The Truth About Coffee: Our STL Dentists Explains How This Popular Beverage Affects Oral Health
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.