Have you been struggling to achieve, and then maintain, breath that feels and smells fresh? If so, you are not alone; many patients find it difficult to battle chronic bad breath. Our Saint Louis dentist office is here to help you win this fight—and today we are providing you with some easy-to-use tips on this very issue.
Before we talk about specific steps that you can take to freshen your breath, let’s quickly review why bad breath develops in the first place.
Chronic bad breath is usually the result of existing dental decay or infection. Gum disease, especially, is an insidious and often invisible cause of bad breath. Harmful oral bacteria let off odor as they consume sugars and carbohydrates. So in order to get a handle on bad breath, the best thing that you can do is to restore the health of your smile.
For best results this means:
· Having any cavities and existing gum disease treated by your dentist
· Brushing and flossing as recommended by your dentist
· Adding a mouth rinse to your daily routine if necessary
· Rinsing your mouth after eating or drinking in order to discourage bacteria growth
To help freshen your breath during the day, try to avoid bacteria-feeding mints and gum. Instead try:
· Drinking plenty of water—water promotes saliva production (and saliva neutralizes bacteria)
· Rinsing your mouth with water to dislodge food particles—this will limit the amount of time that oral bacteria can multiply in your mouth
· Brushing or flossing during the day
· Eating at specific times rather than snacking continuously
Our Saint Louis cosmetic dentist office can give you even more information about how to freshen your smile the right way. Please feel free to call our helpful dental team to get started improving your oral health!