The dreaded cavity: every patient wants to avoid the annoyance and discomfort associated with cavity development. The good news is that with diligent dental hygiene care, you can significantly lessen your likelihood of suffering from cavities. The first step in this process is to understand how and why cavities develop in the first place. Our Saint Louis dentists are here to provide with you that important information.
What is a cavity?
A cavity is a portion of a previously healthy tooth that has developed an infection. A cavity is a weak spot on a tooth. Once a cavity has taken hold, it can spread throughout the rest of the tooth; it can even infection gum tissue and bone tissue.
Why does a cavity form?
Every day our teeth are exposed to all kinds of substances that can break them down. Acidic substances, for example, weaken dental enamel and may make it more likely that a patient will get cavities. The oral bacteria in your mouth are always searching for a way to infiltrate your dental enamel (the white shiny part of your tooth). When the enamel is weakened—either by certain substances, or because the bacteria in your mouth have grown too strong—bacteria will take root in your enamel.
What can I do to stop this?
The best thing for you as a patient to do is to take steps to prevent cavity development in the first place. This means following all of your dentist’s oral hygiene advice, and completing regularly scheduled professional cleanings. It’s also a good idea to avoid, as much as possible, sugary and carbohydrate-rich foods. Finally, drink plenty of water so that your body is able to produce saliva, which helps fight bacteria.
If you think that you may currently have a cavity, our Saint Louis dentist office is here to help you reclaim a healthy smile. Give us a call to get started right away!
As more and more patients realize that cosmetic dentistry can transform smiles, our Saint Louis cosmetic dentists are fielding more and more questions about Lumineers. That’s why we have put together this primer on how Lumineers work, and whom they can help.
Dental Lumineers are cosmetic restorations. They are crafted from a type of porcelain called Cerinate porcelain. Cerinate porcelain is specifically designed to be strong and beautiful.
In order to transform your smile, our dentist will:
1. Assess your smile to make sure that your entire mouth is strong enough to support Lumineers. Because Lumineers are attached to your natural teeth, we need to make sure that your dental structure is strong and free of cavities before we undergo cosmetic treatment.
2. Craft your Lumineers to your exact specifications. Once we decide that Lumineers are the right fit for you, we’ll start to think about what shape, size, and color your cosmetic restorations should be. The great news is that Lumineers are totally customizable, so you can achieve the natural looking smile that you want.
3. Fit and place our Lumineers over your natural teeth. The great thing about Lumineers is that they are even thinner than traditional cosmetic veneers. This means that our dentist does not need to file away very much of your enamel in order to successfully place a Lumineer. Our team will place your Lumineer over the relevant tooth, ensure that it fits well and looks great, and then bond it into place.
Once Lumineer treatment is complete, you will be able to jump back into your normal routine right away. With Lumineers you can eat your favorite foods and drink your favorite drinks. To care for your smile, you’ll brush and floss in accordance with your dentist’s recommendations.
Want to learn more about cosmetic Lumineers? Our Saint Louis Lumineer dentists are here to help!
When it comes time to choose a dentist, you want to make sure that you decide on a dentist who shares your dental treatment philosophy. With that in mind, our Saint Louis dentists are going to be sharing some of their thoughts regarding how we approach perfecting smiles. Read on to get more information!
The first thing to know is that our Saint Louis dentists always prioritize preventive dentistry. We know that it is better for your health (and your wallet) if you are able to avoid serious dental problems, rather than having to treat them as they emerge. We encourage our patients to maintain their dentist-recommended schedule of professional dental cleanings, and to follow their dentist’s advice about at-home care.
In our office we are happy to provide a number of cosmetic dentistry treatments to improve the appearance of your teeth. When approaching cosmetic cases, we always focus on making the smile healthy and stable, first and foremost. We provide cosmetic dentistry results that are built to last—we never overlook the strength of the smile in order to achieve a visual result.
Here’s another important thing to know about our dental team: we do everything possible to put our patients at ease. We know that when patients are comfortable in the dentist’s chair, they find it much easier to get the preventive and restorative treatments that they need. That is why we offer sedation treatments to keep people calm and comfortable throughout treatment.
These are just a few of the key guiding principles of our dental practice. We believe that keeping these priorities in mind allows us to provide our dental patients with the absolute best dental care that we can!
If you have any questions about the treatments we offer, or if you would like to speak to a member of our Saint Louis dental team, please feel free to call our office.
- Not All Bad Breath Is The Same—Our Saint Louis Dentists Explain
- Get The Information You Need About Veneers From Our Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist
- Saint Louis Dentist Helps You Recognize Early Signs Of Dental Problems
- Saint Louis Dentist Improves Patient Dental Alignment For Exceptional Results
- Our Saint Louis Dentist Talks About The Importance Of Trust Between Patients And Dentists
- Learn More From Our STL Dentists About How Sleep Apnea Can Hurt Your Health
- Saint Louis Dentist Shares Simple Things You Can Do To Protect Your Smile
- Saint Louis Dentist Offers Innovative Implant Smiles Treatment For Exceptional Results
- Our Saint Louis Relaxation Dentists Answer Patients’ Questions Regarding Oral Conscious Sedation
- Saint Louis Dentist Discusses Common Underlying Causes Of Enamel Staining And Discoloration
New Patient Special!
Or $1 custom teeth whitening with new patient exam, complete x-rays, and cleaning at full fee (a $314 value).
How it works, what options are available and more.